Akina Mama wa Afrika (AMwA) under the auspices of the Voices for Just Climate Action (VCA) Programme is looking for women and gender non-conforming identifying feminists, who wish to voluntarily share their unique leadership experience with dynamic young women. The mentors will support our goal of shaping a feminist future through our Feminist and Transformational Leadership Fellowship while nurturing feminist leadership for the global climate justice conversations. Supported by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the fellowship is being led and implemented by Akina Mama wa Afrika’s flagship programme the ‘African Women’s Leadership Institute (AWLI)’ which provides a powerful and holistic feminist grounding for African women to enable them to define, analyze and articulate their experiences of inequalities and devise solutions for sustained change.
Who Are We Looking for?
- An Eco-feminist or feminist leader;
- An experienced, enthusiastic professional (at least 5 years in a related field) and well-connected to various networks and opportunities for leadership development;
- Passionate about mentoring, guiding, and supporting future young feminist leaders;
- Available to serve as a mentor for 12 months from (November 2021 – November 2022) and provide mentoring guidance for up to two mentees (as needed). Mentorship would likely involve working sessions/meetings including online (WhatsApp, Messenger, Email) and face2face meetings.
Goal of the Mentorship programme
The goal of the Mentorship Programme is to support the personal and professional leadership development of the fellows and foster and encourage a community of bold young women catalyzing social change and transforming their communities.
- To further strengthen young African women and gender non-conforming persons as identified through our leadership training and through our partners to deepen the level of critical analysis around key feminist climate justice issues.
- To facilitate intergenerational and intersectional cross-learning to reach a new level of awareness and unconventional thinking, build solidarity with each other, and readily influence existing and emerging climate discourse.
- To grow the network of feminist climate justice mentors who can share their lived experiences and triumphs, and nurture the next generation to ensure a just and inclusive climate transition
- Be provided with orientation and comprehensive mentoring materials; The orientation aims to help mentors learn more about the AWLI and the Voices for Just Climate Action programme, its goals, specific mentoring toolkit, and guides, plus sample working schedules, etc.
- Receive full support and guidance throughout the programme;
- Support the mentee to develop and implement a personal strategic plan, interface with the mentee at least once a month, and hopefully develop a long-term relationship to better be feminist climate justice actors;
- Provide mid-term and final evaluation of the mentorship progress and status updates, to AMwA;
- Participate in additional meetings of mentors and mentees to leverage networking within the duration of the fellowship, exchange of ideas and approaches, and further ease the mentoring process itself.
How to Apply:
Please fill out the application form and upload your Curriculum Vitae (in English) by the close of business on November 12, 2021.
Apply here: https://forms.gle/2KU7i1735wn168gU9
For more information, please contact: email@example.com