Akina Mama wa Afrika (AMwA) is a feminist pan African development organization that was founded in 1985 by a group of visionary African women in the United Kingdom but later relocated to Africa with headquarters in Kampala, Uganda. AMwA’s work is rooted in feminist principles and beliefs guided by the Charter of Feminist Principles for African feminists. AMwA’s flagship programme is the African Women’s Leadership Institute (AWLI) that was launched in 1997 and has since enhanced leadership capacities for over 7,000 women and selected categories of men. AMwA provides strategic direction in key Pan-African networks including NGO CSW Africa, Solidarity for African Women’s Rights and the Gender is My Agenda Campaign. AMwA also has consultative status with the United Nations Economic Council.
Context of the Consultancy
Akina Mama wa Afrika’s current strategic plan is ending in 2020, which necessitates the evaluation of its implementation as well as the prioritization of our next strategic direction. Akina Mama wa Afrika’s programmatic environment is constantly changing and is characterized by evolving trends in the feminist landscape and advancement of women’s rights, shifting donor commitments, expanding staffing structure, and capacity, amongst other factors. Additionally, this is a transition period for AMwA with some major shifts in programming. It is thus a good time for the organization to reflect on her past and think through the most effective way to capitalize on the new realities.
The overall objective of this consultancy is to develop a five-year Strategic Plan to support Akina Mama wa Afrika fulfill her mandate.
Scope of Work
The scope of work for the consultant will include the following:
- Review the last strategic plan implementation to collate key achievements, challenges and opportunities;
- Review current vision and mission and provide recommendations where necessary;
- Undertake a situational analysis through a SWOT, PEST and other relevant analysis tools;
- Review new programming for 2022-2026 to inform new strategic plan;
- Draw a strategic plan for 2022-2026
This assignment will involve close consultation with the internal AMwA Strategic Planning team (comprising of one Board Member, the Executive Director, and one selected staff member) and entail a participatory process, including, but not limited to
- The review of internal documents;
- Consultations’ with AMwA Board Members, Management and Staff, and selected partners/ stakeholders;
- Facilitation of a strategic planning workshop for Board Members, Staff, and Selected partners/stakeholders;
- Drawing up a strategic plan.
- An inception report with a conceptual framework detailing steps, methodology, and work plan;
- Draft five-year SP as per agreed outline;
- Final five-year strategic plan including a results and resources framework;
- A report on the process including stakeholder consultations and workshops.
Duration of Assignment
This assignment is expected to be carried out for a period of 15 work days.
Qualifications of the Consultant
- Advanced University degree in organizational development, gender and governance studies, law or development studies, or any of the related fields;
- Minimum of 10 years experience in any of the above fields;
- Experience conducting strategic planning processes;
- Ability to steer high-level meetings, while providing strategic guidance;
- An understanding of basic feminist principles, ideals, and human rights analytical approach;
- Display cultural, gender, religious, age sensitivity, and adaptability;
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills.
The application should contain the following elements:
- A cover letter stating your motivation and summarizing relevant experience;
- Narrative and financial proposal;
- Updated curriculum vitae that clearly spells out qualifications and experience in relation to the assignment;
- Contacts of 3 organizations that have recently contracted the consultant to carry out a similar assignment.
Interested and qualified candidates should send applications (in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on Friday, 20th November 2020.