Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer
Organization: Akina Mama wa Afrika (AMwA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Monitoring & Evaluation Coordinator.
Akina Mama wa Afrika is a Pan-African feminist organization with headquarters in Kampala, Uganda, dedicated to improving the political, economic, social status of African women, through enhancing their individual and collective leadership capacities.
AMwA is committed to being programmatically astute, cost-effective, and a learning organization that advances women’s rights and social justice as the ultimate result of her activities. This commitment is expected to provide AMwA with an ability to reach more people with greater and more measurable impact. Within this context, the MEL Officer will provide technical support in the design and implementation of AMwA’s Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning System in line with AMwA’s vision, mission, and values. The MEL Officer will also contribute to strengthening the capacity of the organization by identifying and supporting the implementation of program/project MEL models that are effective and cost-efficient tools for institutional learning to support improved and more unified program quality.
The purpose of this position is to contribute to building and maintaining a robust and cutting-edge MEL department that is responsive to program needs. The MEL Officer will keep abreast of the trends in MEL approaches to ensure the use of technically appropriate monitoring evaluation and learning models and information systems.
Key Job Responsibilities
The selected individual will accomplish the following:
- Develop and maintain an enabling environment for Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning and ensure that it becomes a high priority in the organization;
- Develop good working relations with partner MEL Staff to ensure the coherence of AMwA’s MEL with other partners;
- Develop MEL guidelines and tools and provide hands-on technical assistance to staff in designing, monitoring, evaluating, and reporting;
- Support the design, development, and implementation of a MEL Strategy;
- Support and contribute to the development of a Management Information System through documentation, implementation, and coordination of standardized MEL;
- Compile documentation for learning, accountability, and reporting for the different teams to best meet the interest of AMwA’s constituencies.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field with 3-5 years’ experience in a MEL Capacity, a Master’s Degree will be an added advantage;
• Demonstrated experience in monitoring, evaluation, and/or learning in women’s rights, social justice, human rights, or non-governmental development organizations.
• An understanding of feminist issues, advocacy, and/ or development environment around women’s rights.
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and written/verbal communication skills;
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and to organize and prioritize competing activities;
• Strong leadership skills;
• Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment;
• Flexibility, patience, dedication, and creativity;
• Strong computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, MS PowerPoint, MS Project, SPSS).
The place of performance shall be Kampala, Uganda with significant travel to programming areas at national and sub-national levels.
How to Apply
Candidates who meet the above criteria are advised to apply. Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Please send a cover letter and Curriculum Vitae including three references with contact details via email to: email@example.com. The deadline for application is Friday, 9th April 2021 at 5:00 pm.